Home of The Small Art Company and a bit of British all sorts about my family, kids, home, art, mixed media, craft, photography, illustration, travel, cooking, organisation, teaching... Good to see you:)

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mixed Media and an Art Journal Project!

Well, happy New Year! I think this must be the longest I've not blogged for. Sometimes life just gets in the way, but I have missed sharing things with anyone who might be reading (!) and catching up on what my favourite bloggers are up to.

I've been really enjoying working and experimenting with mixed media. It's something I've been dabbling with for a few years, in different forms, but am doing it more seriously now. I even sold this piece in Things British at King's Cross: 

http://www.thesmallartcompany.co.uk/mixed-media-gallery.html


And I've sent this piece off to the shop today:

http://www.thesmallartcompany.co.uk/mixed-media-gallery.html


I've managed to sell a few encaustic pieces and some alcohol ink tiles as well. I'll be visiting the shop in a few weeks and can't wait to see my things there! I've never made it up to the Gift Gallery in York, so I'm really excited to see my work in a real shop!

I'm also taking part in an art journal project. Zoe over at Top Floor Treasures mentioned it and I thought it sounds just like my kind of thing! Despite keeping all sorts of diaries and journals since the age of 12, I've never actually made an art journal. I half-made a smash book a few years ago, but it remains half-made...

Anyway, here's the cover:

http://www.thesmallartcompany.co.uk/mixed-media-gallery.html

It's titled 'A Year of Hope' which relates to my daughter. Maybe more about that another time.

If you're unsure what an art journal is, it's basically a journal that you create art in. So you could have a daily planner which you decorate with doodles, or you can write journal-type entries and decorate the pages in any way you like really. You can add things like tickets, photos, quotes, stickers... anything that is meaningful to you at the time.

For this project we're given weekly challenges. The first for example, was to incorporate our front door.
This week's challenge is to use an envelope. I love this one and have an idea in mind. Just need to wait for the right kind of envelope! I've never wanted junk mail so much:) It's been so interesting to see everyone's different ideas using the same prompt!

If you want to find out more about the Documented Life Project, then you can find them on Facebook on on the blog.

It's not too late to come and join in:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!